Thursday 22 January 2009

Are you a professional drag queen?

I was in London a few weeks back accompanying Sarah to her appointment at Charing Cross. We drove down for the day for the 4pm appointment, so had a leisurely natter in the car on the way down. Another first for me, taking a comfort break at Oxford Services on the M40. As it was lunch-time, it was like land of the giants in the ladies loo, as there was a coach party of pensioners arriving at the same time as us! All these little old ladies getting under my feet….

We got in to London with an hour to spare so took a Christmas Starbucks across the road. Then at the clinic Sarah went in for her appointment, whilst I chatted to the 2 lovely Aussie receptionists. Afterwards we headed for the shops at Westfield and had a meal in the up-market food hall. It was a great experience! The mall wasn’t all open yet, so the place looked a bit incomplete, with most people just browsing. We found the MAC store, and the first person I saw in there was Ann who had just moved down from the branch at Selfridges in the T Centre. She gave me a mini makeover and a few tips; it was lovely to see a familiar face. After that we headed for the west end for a bit of a stroll. We went to see the ice skaters at Somerset House, and walked over to Covent Garden, but it was a bit quiet. We had a coffee in Charing Cross Road before heading back to the car. On the way back along the road I got stopped by a blonde (seems a familiar story this) called Samara who was convinced we’d met at a party a few months ago in London, she just wouldn’t accept that I’d never met her before, and wanted to show me the photo of us, before realising she didn’t have her camera with her. Eventually she accepted that she was mistaken, and as we chatted generally, asked me ‘Are you a professional drag queen?!’ I still have absolutely no idea how to take that! She was a lovely girl, and we swapped contact details, but I never got a reply!

Sarah and I chatted all the way in the car back to Cheadle, where I met her father. What a lovely, sweet man! In his 80’s, and he wanted to make us tea at 3 in the morning! It was a great day out.

No comments: