Friday 23 January 2009

Burying a demon

Last evening I was able to call closure on an incident that had been on my mind for a few years.

About 9-10 years go, I went for an evening stroll in my home town. I was wearing a dark coat, black skirt and boots, trying to blend in as a woman on the way home from work. Probably the makeup wasn't too brilliant in those days, but I thought I was doing ok, until I came across a group of teenagers in town playing on their skateboards. As I crossed the road at the traffic lights, I heard one say 'That's a bloke', and then as I continued walking past, there was a 'Hey, mister'. This freaked me. I carried on, ignoring them, but had this thought of 5-6 of them following me and pestering me up the road. What would I do? I was in heels, and couldn't walk off quickly. It hadn't happened before, as I'd rarely been outside of the house in those days. There was nowhere to go, as the shops had closed. But as it happened, they didn't follow. It was more important for them to play on their skateboards, rather than bother a tranny. Perspective.

Fast forward to last night. Brown mac, dark trousers, and heels.

I'd popped in to the charity shop in town at 5pm, dropping off some of Bob's clothes. He doesn't need so many now. After that I had an appointment with Rox at the Beauty Clinic. All very cosy, and some friendly teasing with the boss. I left there about 6, and crossed the road, to the place I'd been those years ago, which I recalled. As I got to more or less the same spot, 2 women approached me, and asked for directions to a local bar they were looking for. We talked for about a minute or so, and they went. Total acceptance.

Then, 3 teenagers appeared, on bikes, messing around. Almost deja-vu. They didn't even stop what they were doing, and I walked on by.

Closure, and a happy bunny!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats on burying that demon :)

Lisa Karen Devonshire said...

Hey Jess, thanks for dropping by!

Take care x