Monday 26 January 2009

Christmas-time in Manchester

In mid December we had the 3rd Annual Northern Angels Christmas meal. It seems to be that we have this at Villaggio’s traditionally and they always look after us well there. So it was another long t-weekend, and I stayed at the Place apartments with Kaz from Scotland. On the Friday evening we went over to the Trafford Centre for some t-retail therapy. It was busier than we expected, but had no hassle, and shopped, browsed, and had a meal in the burger restaurant in the food area. Vicky from Selfridges joined us for a bit; she is very friendly, and has asked us to join her for a drink after work on a Friday in future.

After we got back to the Place, it was time for some dancing, so we got changed and headed out. I’d decided on wearing my new black heels, which I’d bought that evening. Big mistake. By the time we’d walked 200 yards, they were rubbing, so I had to turn back and change my shoes. I didn’t want to develop blisters which then would have ruined the weekend. So Kaz carried on meeting up with Di, and I went back. When I got back to the apartment, I just didn’t have the energy to change my shoes and go back out, so I had a warm drink and went to bed!

On the Saturday we had decided to go shopping in town, but Di didn’t show up for the roll-call (another late night!), so Kaz and I started off in King Street. I like it here; not too chavvy. We split up, as Kaz always likes to head straight for Monsoon. I tried on a lovely top in Planet, which I bought. Then after browsing in Hobbs and a couple of other shops, headed for Monsoon, but there was no sign of Kaz. I did ask one of the assistants if she’d seen a stunning blonde with ‘to die for’ cheekbones, but she hadn’t. So I sent her a text and headed for Kendals on Deansgate. I must have been in here for an hour, trying on various outfits in their sales. It was crowded, but not uncomfortable. I got 1 or 2 looks from the bloke half of couples, but on the basis of ‘it takes one to know one’, I wasn’t that bothered. These people don’t give you lingering stares, as long as you just get on with your business being confident.

After a few texts I’d caught up with Kaz, who by now had met up with Di so we agreed to meet up at Ama-zing in High Street. This was funny. This shop has got some great clothes, but sometimes is a bit chavvy, with kids being dragged in to there who don’t want to be there. This was the case when we were there. Kaz, Di and I were browsing around, and trying things on in the changing rooms, when Di said she’d heard one of the bored kids, sat on the step, say ‘Look, there’s another one!’ we must have made their day!

Afterwards we just had time for a leisurely coffee in Tribeca before heading back to get changed for our party night out.

I’d settled on my new black and gold halter neck dress; just right for a Saturday night out. The girls were all meeting at Tribeca, and we took over the upstairs lounge. This was a first time for a few of the girls, as they hadn’t met up with the group before, plus a few girls had come from different parts of the country. It’s nice to think that our meals have this interest from so far afield. This GG girl in there got really friendly and complimentary, and insisted on having her photo taken with me; as it was all friendly then I didn’t object. The attention was quite flattering! I think there were nearly 30 of us at the meal, and it was a great atmosphere at Villaggio’s, as expected. San tried to burn the restaurant down with a lit napkin, and Di’s skirt caught fire, but they still said we could come back in future. After that it was over to Velvet’s bar, to listen to some grooves, and then most went to Nap’s. Somehow, I don’t remember how, Justine and I ended up in a straight club on Whitworth Street, after dancing for a while in Via. Now that was an experience, and we arranged to get back there in the New Year and visit a few more ‘proper music’ clubs!

Nap’s was the usual Saturday night experience, where we met up with the rest of our group who had stayed out; you have to grin and bear it, music-wise. Sometimes it’s just too cheesy for me in there.

I recall we had to take someone back to her hotel, so the 2 Kates, Kaz, Di and I kind of shuffled our way to the Days Inn. By this time it was about 4am, and Kaz and I got approached by 2 party girls and a bloke in Charles Street, still wanting to know where they could party. They were very friendly to us and we kissed and embraced, and it was one of those feel-good moments that come unexpectedly.

Kaz as usual had to depart early on Sunday for her train north back to the Colonies, and Di was nowhere to be seen. I’d decided I was going to go to Selfridges and buy some Secrets silicone breast enhancers. In Naps the previous evening I was chatting to a GG comparing boobs and she told me about the Mel B gel bra, which when worn with inserts makes a decent difference to chest size. So, I searched out La Senza in Debenhams, and was in there for about 40 minutes, getting my first ever bra fitting, and having a few jokes with the 2 lovely sales girls in there. They gave me a few to try, and now I’m very happy with a more natural result; these days the silicone boobs now stay in their boxes!

It was turning out to be a busy day; later on I went to choir practice and mass at the MCC in Manchester, and then in the evening there was a lovely Christmas
Meal with the church group at Cromers in town. The restaurant was packed, and whilst I got 1 or 2 looks from other diners, by now I was completely in my groove after 48 hours of heavy L-time.

A highly enjoyable weekend!

2 comments:

Tawny Karen said...

I had an amazing time and you did a fantastic job organising everything.
I did get a bit lost, but got a great picture with a very skinny person in a panda costume.
I doubt I fit the description of a stunning blonde, but thanks.

Kaz x

Lisa Karen Devonshire said...

What, with those cheek-bones?! Don't kid yourself, gorgeous!